Smile and wave boys 7/11/22

 Hola queridos amigos!!!!! 

I love and miss you all! <3

I've been a Spain resident for what feels like a year (a good year at that, but a year  nonetheless), but in reality it's been a week and a half WHATTTT

Here are some things I've learned about Spain (or maybe just Girona) in this first week - just in case you wanted some random facts:
- not too many early risers here - everyone goes to bed late and wakes up even later. It's even difficult to get people to church because it's apparently wayyyy to early (10am...)
- cross the street first, look after. People just hail-Mary it and walk across the craziest streets without even looking. There aren't really any pedestrian lights, so you just cross the street and pray that the cars will stop!
- If someone is fom the US, they're either from New York or LA. There is no in-between. 
- no one uses conditioner - can't find it anywhere... it's a real big problem in my life right now 
- people from the South of Spain are just the nicest ever. The sun does wonders for a person, I guess.
- dinner is LATE - around 10pm, and lunch is HUGE
And then there are the classic Europe things: lots of smoking, bakeries everywhere, etc.

As my cute grandpa said in an email this week, "what a blessing to be walking the streets your dad walked some 30+ years ago." And it's the truth!
I'll see, hear, or try things that I've heard my dad talk about from his mission and it's such a full circle moment. I'm also hoping I'm the favorite child because of this priceless bond (if that wasn't already evident). 

Anyway, this week was amazing. Lots of member meals, teaching, finding, studying, and of course, rejection :) 
And as for the title of this email - pretty much sums up my life these days. I smile,  nod every so often, and crack up when everyone else cracks up. It's all fun and games until everyone goes silent and looks at me and I know I'm TOAST because I was probably just asked a question. This  happens quite frequently hahaha

It was Hermana Quintanas birthday on Wednesday! She's just the greatest - so loving and patient with me.
So of course (as one does when they love their comp very much and have nothing to offer) I tried to make french toast for her birthday breakfast and almost lit the kitchen on fire! There was smoke everywhere and the smoke detector went off and we were racing around frantically - so awesome.
I'm still not even sure where I went wrong, which means I'll have another adventure the next time I use the stove. We did survive though and the smoke smell is even starting to fade :) I'm just so glad I got to make her birthday special! 

This was one of my favorite moments of the week, so look alive:
I was sitting in the main room studying and I hear "A WIZARD, A WIZARD!!!!" from the other room. 
I hurried into the other room (a harry potter fan myself) and found Hermana Quintana huddled in the corner pointing at a tiny lizard hahaha. She was so excited about the "wizard" and even called him a "wizardito" at one point hahaha I just love her.

Some other interesting moments: 
-Our washing machine spontaneously tipped over and water started shooting out of the wall and flooding the apartment. We panicked and screamed for a solid minute and then found out how to turn off the water. It's all fine and good now, someone is coming to fix it today.
 -I also met a man named Nacho, which I thought was pretty cool. Idk.
-Street contacting is always interesting too. It's either flat out rejection or invitations to bars, so not a whole lot of success!
-And you'll all be shocked to hear this, but I am such a crier these days... I cry when other people cry, I cry in lessons, church, etc. 

I'm learning a lot about the Spirit as we introduce people to the gospel. We're teaching a man, a filmmaker, who named himself "the least likely candidate for the misssionaries". He's also the director of a controversial movie about Christ, and hates organised religion. He explained to me that he cannot understand why he has the desire to learn more about the restored gospel of Jesus Christ, simply that he does. He's done his research and is extremely intelligent, so he has a lot of interesting questions. It's almost like wants to find a plot hole or a leak in the system, because he doesn't want to change his ways and lifestyle. However, he said he really feels something when he learns about the gospel and wants to learn more about what steps he needs to take to be baptised!! So crazy and cool!

And I know I mentioned this, but I just love the members. 
They always give me hugs and hold my hand and welcome me with so much love. After so much rejection all day, it's seriously the greatest to spend time members. There's this sweet old woman, Verónica, who just comes behind me and hugs me (picture husband-wife maternity shoot) while I'm talking to people. It's so precious hahaha. 
There's another man, Julio, whose wife passed away 10+ years ago but he still finds a way to mention her in every sentence and cries every time he talks about her. It's the sweetest. 
And the members seriously feed us SO MUCH. I have that post-thanksgiving feeling after every. single. meal. Not a bad problem to have, eh?

Now I'd be lying if I said it was all fun and games. It's actually mostly not fun and games. There's all the classics: cancelled lessons, pure exhaustion, and feelings of embarrasment, laziness, fear, lonliness, and inadequacy. And of course, not to be dramatic, there are times when Spanish makes me want to rip my hair out (for reals though, if anyone out there understands direct vs indirect object pls send help). But one thing has been a consistent source of strength throughout the week - my personal study. It's one of the first times in my life where I've set aside a significant chunk of time to study the gospel, but what a difference it makes!

And to close, I've seen the power of the Savior every single day this week. The power of even just hearing or saying His name. Testifying of His life and His love, His grace and His mercy. 
I read this during the week: "And that he manifesteth himself unto all those who believe in him, by the power of the Holy Ghost; yea, unto every nation, kindred, tongue, and people, working mighty miracles, signs, and wonders, among the children of men according to their faith" (2 Ne 26:13), and I have witnessed its truth. As we exercise our faith, we tap into that light of Christ that is in each of us. 
I couldn't be prouder to be a representative of the Church of Jesus Christ. It really is such a privilege and a blessing! 

And that's about all I've got, sorry this is so long! 
You are all lights in my life, thanks for the love and support ❤️❤️
Have the best week!

I LOVE YOU ALL
Hermana Harris

(Also, I hear Spain is beautiful in the summer, so if you're looking for a nice little getaway...)












Pictures
- first two are from our arrival last week but I stole them from H. Bradford hahaha
- the most beautiful park
- sunsets in Girona 😍🤑
- washing machine 
- hermana quintanas birthday!!
- views 🙇‍♀️
- one of the blankets in our apartment. Felt the need to share because it just makes no sense. And I quote, "do you love me? Sundays coming I know the sun will shine for us" HAHAHA WHAT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tortillas Americanas 10/24/22

an apple a day 😵‍💫 12/6/22

wight christmas 1/2/23